Lush quits Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat for security reasons | Retail business
Lush announced that he was closing his accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok until social media sites did a better job of protecting users from harmful content.
The campaigning beauty retailer said it had “had enough” after allegations by Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen that the company puts profit above public good.
Lush chief digital officer Jack Constantine said he would not ask customers to “meet us in a dark and dangerous alley,” adding that some social media platforms “were starting to feel like places where no one else is. should be encouraged to go… Something to change. “
Constantine said the company spends a lot of time inventing products to help people relax and take care of themselves. Social media platforms had become the antithesis of this, he argued, with algorithms designed to “scroll people and keep them from turning off and relaxing.”
The Poole-based retailer, best known for its scent soaps and bath bombs, has spearheaded campaigns linked to social causes over the years, with topics ranging from undercover police targeting activists to preventing crime. extinction of the Saint-Martin harriers.
“When the well-being of our customers is put at risk because of the channels through which we try to connect with them, then something is wrong with us,” Constantine said.
As anyone who has tried it knows, quitting social media isn’t easy. This is also true for Lush, as this is the second time the company, which has more than 400 stores in 48 countries, has said it has left the sites, having previously announced the milestone in 2019. The company blamed it. “Fomo” (fear of missing out) for relapse.
Lush said he hopes the platforms introduce strong best practice guidelines and that new laws are passed to protect users.
Until then, the company said it was trying to “protect our customers from the damage and manipulation they might suffer when trying to connect with us on social media.” All Lush brand, retail and people accounts around the world will be closed starting Friday.
The retailer said it plans to find better communication channels elsewhere, as well as use proven routes. For now, he will continue to be present on Twitter and YouTube.
Haugen, a former product manager at Facebook, leaked tens of thousands of internal company documents after being frustrated at not publicly acknowledging the damage his platforms could cause.
The documents sparked a flurry of allegations, including that Facebook knew its products were harming adolescent mental health, fomented ethnic violence in countries like Ethiopia, and failed to tackle misinformation before the riots in the country. January 6 in Washington.
In a statement responding to Haugen’s accusations, Facebook said it continued to make significant improvements to combat the spread of disinformation and harmful content, adding: “Suggest that we encourage bad content and do nothing n is simply not true. “
Regarding the story that Facebook is harmful to adolescent mental health, the social media site pointed out a blog post by her public policy manager, Karina Newton, who said the report had “focused on a limited set of findings and cast them in a negative light.”