Julian Carbone: Counselor deletes Instagram after teen bikini post, asked to quit
A beleaguered Adelaide councilor has deleted his Instagram as colleagues call on him to resign over a message he sent to a 17-year-old.
An Adelaide councilor who was at the center of an $11,500 investigation after he was accused of sending an inappropriate message to a 17-year-old girl on Instagram has deleted his account, but continues to claim he has been hacked.
The teenager complained to the council after receiving a direct message from Julian Carbone’s @juliancarboneburnsidecouncil Instagram account in November last year which read: ‘Lots of bikini pics – but it’s so cold right now hey’ .
It came after the teenager posted pictures of herself in a bikini.
Mr Carbone made headlines this week when the council released the costly code of conduct complaints report, which also drew attention to the number of accounts the councilor has followed “with young girls in bikinis and sportswear.
Deliver the news you want, when you want with Flash. More than 25 news channels in one place. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer ends October 31, 2022 >
On Tuesday evening – the same night council met and heard calls for his resignation – Mr Carbone took to Facebook to deny his involvement in monitoring the accounts and say he had taken the decision to remove its account.
It came after a message on Monday where he thanked his followers for their support.
Stopping using the account was one of the recommendations in the report, along with social media training and a written apology to the council and the teenager.
“Hi everyone, as my Instagram page has become overrun and riddled with FAKE PROFILES, which I have nothing to do with, I have made a conscious decision to delete my account,” Mr. Carbone wrote on Facebook.
“I am very passionate about increasing resident engagement, so I will continue to liaise with you through my regular Council Facebook page.”
Responding to claims about the “inappropriate” accounts, investigators said in the report that Mr Carbone claimed he had “a keen interest in supporting young people” and is “trying to generate community trust”.
Regarding the message to the teenager, the report stated that Mr Carbone had claimed that his account had been hacked or that the message had been accidentally sent while he was on Facebook or that someone had grabbed his phone. .
However, investigators did not accept this and determined that Mr. Carbone had indeed sent the message.
fire council meeting
During a council meeting on Tuesday evening, which Mr. Carbone did not attend, elected officials shared their disgust at the “saga”.
Henry Davis said he wanted to see Mr Carbone resign and found the accounts being followed by the father of a married child “extremely concerning”.
“I condemn the actions of Councilor Carbone in sending a message to a 17-year-old girl, who in no way would exceed the moral standard of a member of the community, let alone an elected official,” he said. declared.
“To add salt to the wound, when Councilor Carbone received a complaint, his denial unduly cost taxpayers far beyond what would normally be expected from a standard code of conduct.
“His denials were frankly ridiculous. At the same time he claimed he was hacked, he claimed he didn’t remember sending it, he claimed someone stole his phone at 5:06 a.m. as a joke. He says he messaged the wrong account, which obviously begs the question, which account was he supposed to message? »
Jane Davey said she was “shocked by this apparent abuse” of the social media account and also wanted Mr Carbone to resign.
“It gives a very bad image of the adviser involved and therefore of all of us at Burnside…
I too would like to see the Carbon Advisor do the right thing and step down,” she said.
Lilian Henschke said: “I am very sad for the family of this 17 year old, what she went through, what her family went through for many months. This should never happen again.”
Jennifer Turnbull said she was disappointed that Mr Carbone “leaked for not taking responsibility” by claiming he had been hacked.
Mike Daws said he hoped the message was “one time only” and that Mr Carbone understood he had done the wrong thing.
Mr. Carbone said The advertiser Tuesday that the message to the teenager was a “one-off comment.”
“It was all about being at the beach when it was cold. Yeah, okay, the word bikini probably added a bit of spice to things, if I had said ‘so many beach pics’ it probably wouldn’t have been so bad,” he said.
“There were a lot of very nasty things said that weren’t justified. Was the comment inappropriate? Yes, was there anything else inferred or other sinister or questionable motives? Absolutely not.”
He said he did not remember sending the message and that it was a misunderstanding or a potential hack.
The publication reported that one of the accounts the adviser followed was a woman posing as an exquisite Asian model and another claimed to be “your dad’s favorite instahoe.”
Mr Carbone did not respond to questions from news.com.au.