Facebook Messenger now updated for Mac M1 and M2
A few years after Apple unveiled its first Macs with custom chips, Facebook Messenger was finally updated to support those machines. With this, those who rely on Messenger to communicate with their family, friends and loved ones will have a better experience while running the app.
Facebook Messenger’s history update doesn’t say much besides “New! Messenger has a new look and more ways to connect with friends,” but 9to5Mac reader Daniel Halawi spotted the recent 158.0 update which brought universal compatibility with Silicon Apple Mac.
Without proper release notes, it’s unclear how much Facebook has been able to improve the Messenger experience. That said, most developers can make their apps run smoother, waste less battery, and be at least twice as responsive.
Here’s what you can do with Facebook Messenger for macOS:
- Type even faster, multitask while video chatting, and stay connected with desktop notifications;
- Host one-on-one meetings or get the whole group together with high-quality audio and video chat features;
- Host up to 50 people with no time limit;
- Reduce screen glare in low-light situations with dark mode;
- Use stickers, GIFs and emoji when words just aren’t enough;
- Send photos and videos to your friends. Receive files for productivity.
Facebook Messenger is Meta’s first application to offer silicon apple mac compatibility. Recently, the company began testing a version of WhatsApp through Apple’s Catalyst project, which is heavily connected to an upcoming iPad app.
As reported by WABetaInfo, WhatsApp was working on a new app to be released on macOS’ Catalyst project through the iPad app. The blog posted:
What does the macOS app look like? Exactly like the iPad app we spotted a while back. They have the same interface, but WhatsApp for macOS Catalyst will have some UI improvements: these are needed to properly use the app on a desktop interface.
Although the new application of WhatsApp is not yet available, you can enjoy the universal Facebook Messenger app here.